Thing 5: Audio Tools

My district is uses the google apps suite so I decided to investigate the google docs, voice typing. I never knew this was an option and am so mad I didn't! 
I thoroughly enjoyed testing it out. It was so easy to use. As I got going, I realized that I needed to say when I wanted a period or comma, which makes sense. I also spoke very slowly at first and soon realized that it is extremely accurate and that I could speak at a normal rate. 
There are a multitude of ways in which I could use this tool with my students. As I mentioned in my example, I have many students who have great ideas for stories but have difficulty getting it on the paper. If I am looking to assess content, this tool would be an excellent modification for students. Some of our writing standards include spelling and conventions, which the audio tool takes care of for you, so a separate rubric would need to be developed for those using the voice typing. I also have students that struggle with their handwriting which results in frustration for them when trying to complete tasks. The voice typing with the google docs could alleviate some of that frustration and allow students to feel successful. 
While trying this tool out I also thought about several ways in which I could use it for myself. For example, I could be using it right now! I also could use it when typing lesson plans, specifically sub plans. It would save so much time on my end. I also thought that I could use it to provide more meaningful feedback to students. If they are using  google doc for an assignment I can communicate back to them much more freely using the voice typing. My thoughts don't need to stop. I cannot wait to use this and to tell my teammates about it!

Below is what I composed using the voice typing through google docs. 


Hello my name is Tori Stivers I teach first grade at Van Buren Elementary in Baldwinsville, New York. I have never used a voice typing before, however, I think it would be very beneficial for my students. Many of my first grade friends have really great ideas for writing, but, at times have difficulty getting it on the paper. I feel like this would be an excellent way for students to get their thoughts and ideas written down.


I just wanted to test a new line in a new paragraph. This is the coolest thing I have come across in a long time!

Comments

  1. Yay! So glad you found this hidden tool. Sounds like you'll have lots of uses for it. I wish it had existed when I was in school, my handwriting (and now my typing!) is appalling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 3: Photo Fun

Thing 1: Getting Started

Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun