Thing 2: Student Blogging & Writing


I decided to explore the google suite of apps. We are a google district and rely on the use of chromebooks, so I thought it best to explore what google has to offer. The google app that I think would be most beneficial to my 1st graders would be google slides. In writing, we focus on making a quick sketch and then writing. I feel as though google sheets could be set up in a way that students could draw their picture and accompany it with writing and then continue this process across several pages. I then thought it would be interesting to have them record their voices reading their writing while clicking through the slides. 
The main value I see in blogging is that it provides a way for students to share their work with their parents. We do so much during the school day that (as some could imagine with a 1st grader) may or may not make it home. Also, when things come home it is difficult for some to keep all the work for long periods of time. Blogging allows for parents to have a way in which to not only see student work, but a way in which to have it forever. I also see the value in student blogging for student communication and collaboration. Students could view one another's blogs and comment and leave their thoughts and ideas about one another's writing. 
Student writing is a difficult task to accomplish at times. Through the use of student blogging I feel as though I can get more students to "buy in" and become more excited about writing. My first graders love to create things and share with others. Blogging will transform the way in which we share our writing and how we receive feedback both from the teacher and our peers. 
At first I thought, no way can my students blog. I am starting to change my tune. I think the biggest obstacle is going to be the initial teaching of what to do and how to do it. I, myself, need to think outside the box and give it a chance and I think I will be pleasantly surprised

Comments

  1. Google Slides would be a terrific way for them to write! And as they build their collection of drawings and writing, they'll end up with a great portfolio of sorts for the school year. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 1: Getting Started

Thing 11: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship

Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun