Thing 11: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship


I myself had to brush up on my digital citizenship so it was nice getting to explore some resources. I particularly enjoyed diving into all the children's books involving digital citizenship. Being that I teach 1st grade, it is somewhat difficult to discuss the idea of digital citizenship and its importance. I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the books that could help me explain what digital citizenship is and how we can be good digital citizens. Some books I especially loved were Good Night iPad by Ann Droyd and Bad Kitty Does Night Like Video Games by Nick Bruel. I even ordered them!
I haven't provided any direct instruction regarding digital citizenship (yet...waiting for my books) however, we have had discussions about the internet and search engines. We do an animal research project towards the end of the year so at that time we discuss databases and how we find good, valuable information (in 1st grade language). I think this time would be a valuable time to include the stories above and have a good discussion about what it means to be a good digital citizen. 
One activity that I would like to try is doing a webquest. My students have just become experts in logging into chromebooks so I would like to implement their use into my classroom and doing a webquest is a great way to embark on this. The webquest would involve finding good, relevant information vs. false information. 
I have found the website zunal.com is a good resource for finding webquests as well as creating them. I look forward to investigating this further. 

Comments

  1. Those books sound like good choices. And a good plan for discussing this with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 1: Getting Started

Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun